Thursday, August 10, 2017

BLUE-GREEN ALGAE IS BACK LOCALLY



The Waterloo Region Record carried the following article on August 2, 2017 titled "Low levels of toxins found in blue-green algae at Conestogo Lake". This algae has slowly become ubiquitous over the last several years at dams and water impoundments throughout Waterloo Region. In past years I've seen it bad enough at the Woolwich reservoir north of Elmira that I would keep my dog out of the water. As she was a black lab you can understand how much she enjoyed going for a swim.

"Current weather conditions are ideal for the formation of blue-green algae and the conservation authority (GRCA) warns that blooms can appear at any time.". In the past I felt that warm weather, low rainfall and nutrients in the water such as nitrogen or phosphorous were the cause. Since then I know my friend and colleague Dr. Henry Regier has explained it in more detail to me but at the moment I'm drawing a blank.

Two phone numbers were provided in the Record article; one for reporting sightings of the algae to the Spills Action Centre at 1-800-268-6060 and the other if you have experienced a health concern such as a skin rash after exposure. That number to the Wellinngton-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health is 1-800-265-7239 ext. 4753.

No comments:

Post a Comment